The River

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Hubris

Synonymous with "American?"


His image of non-Americans, which he repeated no fewer than six times, is of a child looking up at a helicopter. We’re in the helicopter. Or we are the helicopter, I don’t know. Foreigners, though, are definitely children in this scenario. “That child looking up at the helicopter must see America and feel hope.” “I will speak directly to that child who looks up at that helicopter, and my message will be clear: ‘You matter to us. Your future is our future. And our moment is now.’” “The America I know is the last, best hope for that child looking up at a helicopter.”

WIIIAI on Obama's foreign policy speech


American helicopters of hope make about as much sense as cruise missiles of compassion. These are, presumably, military helicopters.

I was in Jacksonville, Florida, recently. Big Naval town. Fighter jets were flying directly overhead everyday. Loud as hell. Ugly. Obnoxious. Cold as the grave instruments of death. I wasn't even looking at them from a foreign country, where I would stand a good chance of having lost a loved one through aerial bombardment, and there was absolutely nothing hopeful about them.

Comments:
Would "Flight of the Valkyries" add to the hope quotient, or detract? Discuss.
 
Post a Comment