The River

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

The "F" word

To hell with vote fraud. I wish more people could see what an important lynch pin it is for the propaganda ministers -- the will of the people is not only subverted, it is then presented to U.S. citizens and to good people everywhere as a monstrous lie -- but the more important question is: how to confront fascism?

I recognize every answer to that will be different and personal, but I hope we can all come up with good answers, of which only we ourselves can be the judge.

The brilliant, fine human being Dr Helen Caldicott, Australian paediatrician, nuclear disarmament activist and head of the Nuclear Policy Research Institute in Washington, answers that question with a little truth-telling: by uttering the "F" word.

"They [the Bush administration] have been able to con the American people with their extremely brilliant propaganda and brainwashing, with the help of the media ... they consistently lie. On the whole the American people don't really understand the dynamics of the right at all. They don't know that Bush et al want to go into Iran next and that they want to dominate the world militarily and that they want to put weapons in space.

"I don't think they [the American public] understand. It is a mandate for Bush to do absolutely anything he wants. I know people don't like me using this word but they're fascists."


Like many of us, Caldicott worked hard to get Kerry elected. She doesn't mention the likely possibility that he was elected, but I hope some day she and the world understand that the American people supported Kerry, even though he hardly stood up to the neocon agenda -- whether through either professional cowardice or something resembling collusion is academic, particularly at this point. In a tightly controlled system, he was the only choice for removing Bush. And that, propaganda notwithstanding, was the will of the people.

Caldicott:

Early on election day she was convinced Democratic challenger John Kerry would win but reality soon set in.

"This is what I've been afraid of and I actually can't believe it's happening," she said. "The voter turnout was so high, which should have supported Kerry. [indeed it did, imho -- ed. emphasis mine.]

"I don't think I've ever felt so personally, politically devastated in my life and that includes when [former president Ronald] Reagan won a second term of office - which was pretty devastating for me as I was so heavily involved in the anti-nuclear movement in those days.

"But this is worse, these people are much worse than the Reagan people."


Finally, here are some fine words on today's subject: Living Under Fascism

Comments: Post a Comment