The River

Friday, June 18, 2004

Buk

The documentary "Bukowski: Born Into This" opens today.

Here is a nice, short piece by the director, John Dullaghan, who became hooked after reading "Post Office."

He relates, "I started reading and collecting Bukowsk's books. Soon, I encountered all kinds of people, such as bookseller Red Stodolsky, who knew Bukowski personally. Hearing their incredible stories, I realized somebody had to collect them. At first, I thought of doing so in a book. I contacted Linda Bukowski who, somewhat amazingly, agreed to work with me. She also suggested I do a documentary. Why the hell not?"

It was a labor of love, some seven years in the making, assembling about 30 hours of Bukowski footage, conducting more than 150 interviews. To say I'm anxious to see this one would be an understatement.

Comments: Post a Comment