The River

Friday, March 07, 2008

Eddi Reader -- Simple Soul



Just heard this in a coffee shop. Funny story about Eddi. First, as big of a fan as I am, I don't own any of her albums. I did own a Fairground Attraction CD way back when, but I think I must have traded it in back in my struggling retail worker days. But back when I had left those beat and evil days (good times) and was working in trade magazines, I was lucky enough to be sent to a trade show in Birmingham, UK. During a night off, I dragged my co-worker to a bookstore. While browsing the books, I heard music playing that didn't sound piped in. I followed my ears up stairs and there was Eddi playing to a crowd of about 75 people. It was, of course, fantastic and serendipitous to boot.

Then it went beyond serendipity to harmonic convergence. I spent the weekend in London on my own as a tourist. So I'm enjoying one of those doubledecker guided excursions through the city when I decide to hop off. What do I see immediately upon hopping off but a sign in a bookstore window saying Eddi was going to be playing there in a few hours. My simple soul must have known something I didn't.

I think I'll listen this time and add some Eddi to my music collection, that is if I can stand all that beauty.

Comments:
Thank You.
 
you're welcome!
 
Post a Comment