The River

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

These people are sick

And they’re given a platform to poison the minds of the impressionable daily

It just doesn’t get any sicker or more ridiculous than Sean Hannity’s radio show. I’ve been tuning in periodically on the ride home from work. Some of the most ignorant bits are when college kids call in to complain about the persecution they must endure from their liberal professors. One young girl complained that a paper she had sourced heavily to a Sean Hannity book had received such a low grade. (I often have to watch that my chin doesn’t interfere with the operation of my clutch, brake, and gas pedals.)

In reaction to this, as with everything, Hannity was astounded at the depths of depravity of the liberal menace. In his fantasy world, the good, god-fearing people are perpetually under attack from the liberal elites. For someone who is so into machismo, he whines like a four-year-old at bathtime, as do the other demagogues clogging our airwaves.

Mostly, though, I listen to CDs and Pacifica Radio’s “Democracy Now!” on the drive home. Last night I listened to Amy Goodman’s piece on Stanley Williams. Here’s part of it:


AMY GOODMAN: We turn now to Stanley Tookie Williams in his own words, hours before he was executed, recorded at WBAI, Pacifica Radio, on "Wakeup Call," an interview that he did with WBAI's Kat Aaron, as she asked him for his thoughts as he faced what turned out to be the last day of his life.

STANLEY TOOKIE WILLIAMS: Well, I feel good, and my redemption signs, I got up this morning, I cleansed myself, I prayed, I exercised, and now I'm talking to you -- or prior to talking to you, I was talking to my mother. Of course, she is quite encouraging, spiritual, and so am I. And my lack of fear of this barbaric methodology of death, I rely upon my faith. It has nothing to do with machismo, with manhood, or with some pseudo former gang street code. This is pure faith, and predicated on my redemption. So, therefore, I just stand strong and continue to tell you, your audience and the world that I am innocent and, yes, I have been a wretched person, but I have redeemed myself. And I say to you and all those who can listen and will listen that redemption is tailor-made for the wretched, and that's what I used to be. So, I can answer one more before I go.

KAT AARON: There are millions of people all around the country and, indeed, the world who are standing in support of you and doing everything that they can to ensure that your life is spared. How would you like the world to imagine your legacy, one that we all hope does not begin tomorrow, but begins in many years from today?

STANLEY TOOKIE WILLIAMS: I appreciate you making that statement. But I have been asked the same query not too long ago, and I said just one word, just one word can sum it up [inaudible] in a nutshell, and that is: redemption. I can say it no better than that. That's what I would like the world to remember me. That's how I would like my legacy to be remembered as: a redemptive transition, something that I believe is not exclusive just for the so-called sanctimonious, the elitists. And it doesn't -- is not predicated on color or race or social stratum or one's religious background. It's accessible for everybody. That's the beauty about it. And whether others choose to believe that I have redeemed myself or not, I worry not, because I know and God knows, and you can believe that all of the youths that I continue to help, they know, too. So with that, I am grateful. So I thank you for the opportunity, and I say to you and everyone else, god bless. So take care.

more


It doesn’t get any larger, any truer or any more basic than that. This is what one would hope for anyone – redemption, transformation.

It was almost six p.m. and I was almost home. I hit the am button for the Atlanta station that so thoughtfully provides the area’s four million plus with Hannity’s rants. After that incredible interview, here is what assaulted my ears:

Smarmy, breathy, preening voice of Sean Hannity (loose transcript): later I’ll talk to [a media representative, didn’t catch name] who got to see the execution of Tookie Williams.

It felt like a sucker punch to the gut.

I’m not excusing Williams’ past, and neither was he, but tell me again who the sick, twisted, gangster fuck is here?

--

See also, from the same Democracy Now show: Angela Davis: "The State of California May Have Extinguished the Life of Stanley Tookie Williams, But They Have Not Managed to Extinguish the Hope for a Better World"

Comments: Post a Comment