The River

Friday, December 09, 2005

Communique from the Bureau of Public Secrets

Yes, we get mail. This one came in today:

Translations of over 200 graffiti from the May 1968 revolt in France are online at http://www.bopsecrets.org/CF/graffiti.htm

A few examples:

Power to the imagination.

Be realistic, demand the impossible.

It's painful to submit to our bosses; it's even more stupid to choose them.

No forbidding allowed.

When examined, answer with questions.

The more I make love, the more I want to make revolution. The more I make revolution, the more I want to make love.

Boredom is counterrevolutionary.

Run, comrade, the old world is behind you!


On a personal note, I perused my copy of Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord the other night, just flipping through a bit, and I said to myself, "hey, he's talking about me." It wasn't interesting theory anymore; I understood it as something true not only about life, but about my life. There's a distinction there that is hard to explain, but for me anyway, comes from having lived a good while since I last picked up the book. The Bureau's knabb offers a translation of the book at the site. She, or he, calls it the most important radical book of the twentieth century.

Comments: Post a Comment