The River

Thursday, February 26, 2004

It's Time To Get Beneath The Wheels


Brad Zellar (Open All Night):

Friends, I'm going to ask you today to join with me in overthrowing the government of the United States. The time for revolution has come.

I'll admit that I'm not quite sure how to go about this, but I also don't think it'll be as difficult as it might seem. There's not much that's clear right now, other than the fact that the people who govern this country are ignorant, incompetent, and preoccupied with stopping homosexuals from getting married. Just last night I listened as various mouthpieces of the Bush administration righteously defended the sanctity of marriage on the Larry King program on CNN, a network that yesterday devoted hour after hour of programming to this important issue. I haven't checked today, but I've no doubt they're still talking about it.

I must say that I found it strange that none of the defenders of the sanctity of marriage seemed at all bothered by the fact that the man who was providing them a forum for their views has been married something like a dozen times.

We all need to acknowledge that --call it what you want-- there's a civil war going on in this country, but at this point it resembles nothing so much as one of those pathetic playground fights that involve a bunch of people milling around watching two guys spitting, shoving, and calling each other names.

more

Exactly. I go out at night occasionally. I look around. It's business as freaking usual. Bands singing about nothing. People sucking down beer and watching some sporting event on the tube. The one millionth remounting of "Our Town." Where is the cultural ferment? Where is the response?

There's a code of silence that we don't dare speak
There's a wall between and the river's deep
We keep pretending that there's nothing wrong
But there's a code of silence and it can't go on

-- Code of Silence, Bruce Springsteen

Comments: Post a Comment