The River

Friday, September 15, 2006

who cares
by Suzzy Roche

I like to watch tv
listen to the news
hear what everybody is saying
there's a lotta talk about God
peace and safety and
war and fear and
there goes a girl in a bikini

this guy's saying that guy's an idiot and
she's on the right he's on the left and
everybody's screaming and yelling at each other and
calling each other jerks
it's a party

who cares where the truth lies
who cares where the truth lies

guys dressed up in suits and ties
look you straight in the eyes
telling lies
but I really wish I knew
what they were talking about
meanwhile human beings
are being strung up on bridges and
little kids are getting their legs blown off and
young soldiers are coming home no more

if you live in new york city
keep your eye on he sky
afraid to take a subway ride
wondering about the next time
the next time

who cares
who cares

so I look inside my own angry heart
the violent world
of my misdeeds and my mistakes
my old messy heartbreaks
and fantastic fakes
the good intentions paved in gold
another war story gets told

I like to watch tv
listen to the news
hear what everybody is saying
I think that I'm a dove but
maybe I'm a hawk and
someday I will fly away

who cares where the truth lies

--

From the highly recommended 2004 Red House Records release "Why the Long Face."

I saw the Roches about a month ago at the 1,000-seat Variety Playhouse. They were completely charming and captivating, definitely one of the best concert experiences in my long career of concert-going.

I picked up the CD at the show. Bought it from Suzzy. Always nice to be able to pay an artist directly. If you'd like another sample of Suzzy's writing, check out The Long Lonely Road to Nowhere.

Eh...here ya go, ya non-link-clickers:

the long lonely road to nowhere
by Suzzy

I bought a book
the 7 habits of highly effective people
powerful lessons in personal change
it's a #1 bestseller
10 million copies sold
I guess the guy who wrote it
has his share of personal change

there's a quote on the cover
from the editor in chief of success magazine
steve degarmo
I wish I had met steve
when I was young and pretty
I might've tricked him into marrying me

you may think that's a mean way of thinking
and sweetheart I know that you're right
but I'm on a long lonely road to nowhere
tonight

[the rest of the story]

Comments:
I like the top one a lot, very pertinent to us now, especially:

"peace and safety and
war and fear and
there goes a girl in a bikini..."

Very true.
 
Post a Comment