The River

Monday, August 30, 2004

Would you hire this man?


Bush presented his standard campaign defense of the war in Iraq, saying, ‘‘America and the world are safer because Saddam Hussein sits in a prison cell.'' But in an interview with Time Magazine, the president suggested he had underestimated the struggle of the postwar period in Iraq.

‘‘Had we to do it over again, we would look at the consequences of catastrophic success, being so successful so fast that an enemy that should have surrendered or been done in escaped and lived to fight another day,'' Bush said.

-- Protesters mass at convention, Helena Independent Record

I love this quote. It’s like when you’re on a job interview, and you are asked what your weak points are and you say something like, “I can get a bit obsessive over details and push too hard.” But “catastrophic success”! That’s a good one. I’ll have to remember that for my next interview:

Mr. Bruce, what can you tell me about your weak points?

Uh, well, hmmm……uh….I guess I’m sometimes too successful. I get the project done, meet the objective, and somehow the problem persists. Not…uh… not through my fault, but, uhm, because I’m, uh, so good that, well, it’s the problem itself – the problem itself doesn’t seem to understand that it’s been solved. It’s an amazing phenomenon. I call it “catastrophic success.” I was very successful in my last job, too. They were amazed. Although, I guess it can create controversy for those that don’t understand how successful I am.....I dunno, guess that's not really a weakness on my part. Uh..okay...you could say I'm too nice sometimes.

Comments: Post a Comment